Saturday, September 5, 2009

paint, shelves and crunch bugs

Physical work done today was minimal at best, but my brain is going off in a million directions! What have I done?!?!? Am I really going thru with this? What is the likelyhood of dragging my family into financial ruin over this crazy dream? Breathe. It's only been a few days and I'm a bundle of nerves. Somehow I know when the work really gets rolling I will forget about all the worries and just enjoy the actual work. I never really hated doing books, I just wanted to do it for myself.

Today was the behemoth of a left over shelf system that we tore apart to see if we could use. I would reuse anything if you give me the chance. It isn't always a wise decision, and I'm trying to decide whether this is worth the fight. The shelves are narrow, not well constructed and painted black. C would have to reinforce the shelves, anchor them to the wall and I would have to repaint them. But somehow, my stubborness thinks they will work. Will I waste all my time on them and put us in jeopardy and lost time over them? Probably. I hate wasting things. The small section we kept would be used only for the storage behind the counter..it makes me feel better since no hands will be pulling on it, or little feet climbing on it. I think it will work...Well, we will see tomorrow.

We have pretty much decided on the display counter and POS area. They are a little more expensive than I was hoping..but not by too much. All of this still makes me wish we had our own truck. Too late now. Every extra penny is needed now. (I can't believe I won't be getting paid..you know at first hopefully not for long. Cringe. Here comes the worry again..) the display shop wasreasonable, the staff was friendly and helpful, and I even found a used magazine rack I really like, for cheap, so we decided to come back on Tuesday and place the order then. C made paper templates of the floor space the displays will use, so we moved them around till we found a good fit. Even P helped us with placement. It's going to work well.

We also decided on our colors today. We went with the bright one. The others were way too 'fleshy' as C put it and I agree. Tomorrow we will get started with the primer, and we should be finished by mid week. We also need to place a few more orders before the end of the week..we decided if we can work furiously from now till mid month, we can use the last 3 weeks organizing and getting stock in the shelves. I can't even invision that massive amount of books we have in storage making their way to the shop, or the ones we have here in the house, for that matter, or the ones we are ordering..! I hope I can rally some help for that process..it's gonna be killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment